Laker Nest Bookstore featured in The College Store’s 15th Annual Store Design Showcase

Madelyn Kidd, Editor-in-Chief

For The College Store’s Store Design Showcase, the Laker Nest Bookstore was one of six campus stores featured in The College Store’s September/October 2020 issue. This is due to in 2019, the Bookstore saw massive changes. 

The Bookstore once resided in a 5,000 sq. ft. pole barn with most of the space being taken up for warehouse space and a hallway sized sales floor. However with the Luther Student Center 2019 expansion, The Laker Nest Bookstore received a massive upgrade. In the Luther Student Center, the Bookstore now has 4,630 sq. ft. with a 1,600 sq. ft. sales floor. A significant improvement from the hallway sized space. The building project was finished in November 2019, and the project total cost was $1.1 million. 

Even with the high project cost it was well worth it. With the enlarged sales space, a more center location on campus, and a new micro-mart and milkshake machine, sales have increased significantly. And with inspiration from the new space, many creative ideas are yet to come for the Laker Nest Bookstore.