What to do if you or someone you had close contact with exhibits symptoms or tests positive for COVID-19

Madelyn Kidd, Editor-in-Chief

Returning to school this fall is going to have many learning curves for everyone. Some of those learning curves involve the constant possibility of exposure to COVID-19 or testing positive for the illness. Many colleges across the United States made the decisions of how they plan to proceed if a student exhibits symptoms of COVID-19 or tests positive. These are Lake Land College’s expectations for students who are exhibiting COVID-19 related symptoms, have been in close contact with someone with COVID-19, or have tested positive.

If you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, stay home and contact your doctor to determine if you need to be tested. If you need to get tested, read the article, “Where you can get tested for COVID-19“ on where you can get tested. Meanwhile, don’t go to social gatherings, public places, or where you’d come into contact with others until you test negative for COVID-19 to prevent spreading the virus. While waiting for your test results, self-isolate at home until cleared by your healthcare provider.

If you have come into close contact with someone exhibiting symptoms, it’s recommended you self-isolate for 14 days even if you test negative.

If you had close contact with someone tested positive for COVID-19, you should stay home and contact your healthcare provider who will determine whether testing is needed. Additionally, don’t go to social gatherings, public places, or where you’d come into contact with others until you test negative for COVID-19 to prevent spreading the virus. Lake Land College student workers should also contact their supervisor and inform them what is happening. Students who are healthcare workers or clinical students who work in high-risk areas must closely monitor symptoms through self-screening and checking their temperature daily.

If you have tested positive for COVID-19, stay home and don’t come to campus. Follow the instructions of your healthcare provider and county health department and avoid contact with others to prevent spreading the illness. Students should contact Sharon Uphoff, LLC’s Nurse, and student employees should contact their supervisor. The College Nurse will work with the Coles County Health Department, and potentially other county health departments, to work on contact tracing and identify and contain potentially impacted individuals.

If you have a COVID-19 related absence, you’ll be able to return to campus once released and cleared to return by the county health department through which you were quarantined. After being cleared by the appropriate county health department, students must present a release from their county health department to College Nurse Uphoff in order to be approved to return to campus. Also if you’re in an on-campus class, you will not be penalized for absences during the time of quarantine. However, you may still be required to complete coursework or participate in remote learning opportunities as determined by your instructors. 

If you find yourself in one of these situations, please follow these guidelines to keep everyone safe and healthy.