Welcome Week, SAB’s first virtual event for the semester

Madelyn Kidd, Editor-in-Chief

At the beginning of each fall semester, the Student Activity Board, SAB, hosts Lake Land Colege’s Welcome Day on the first Wednesday. This semester’s unique situation has led SAB to get creative on how to have welcome day virtually. Normally at Welcome Day, many of Lake Land College’s clubs and organizations set up booths to inform new Lakers all about their club. There are also fun activities such as, freebies, inflatables, food, lemon shake-ups and artists drawing portraits or temporary tattoos. 

This year SAB used Flipgrid where the clubs and organizations could post information about themselves and could even upload a video explaining about their club or organization. While Flipgrid was available for Lake Land College students throughout the first week of the semester; from 3 to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 26, SAB had a Zoom meeting where students could get free custom pop-sockets, also known as phone grips, or a custom street sign with Virtual Coyote. The pop-sockets and street signs being shipped to the student’s address. 

While a virtual Welcome Week isn’t the same as an in-person Welcome Day, SAB managed to provide the closest thing and still have students informed about LLC’s clubs and organizations and provide freebies.