LLC agriculture student places top 15 in Miss Illinois State County Fair pageant

Madelyn Kidd, Copy Editior

Makenna Green, a freshman agriculture student here at Lake Land College, recently competed in the 2020 Miss Illinois County Fair pageant representing Moultrie-Douglas County and made Top 15 out of 73 contestants. Of those 73 contestants two other Lake Land College students competed, Alexis Kiser, representing Coles County, and Marlee Nolen, representing Fayette County.

Green is the 2019 Miss Moultrie-Douglas County Fair queen and when asked how she got involved in pageants and what motivated her to compete in the 2019 Miss Moultrie-Douglas County Fair pageant she replied, “I never saw myself as a pageant girl. I was never a girly girl. I just never thought pageants were my thing, but then I realized the county fair pageant is actually supposed to be surrounding agriculture. Sometimes it seemed like there was a lack of true agriculture advocates running for these roles, and I decided it was a great platform to be able to get the word out there about how important agriculture is to everyone.”

Makenna Green is no stranger to agriculture, Green has been involved in 4-H for “as long as I can remember” with her main project being exhibiting pigs. She was also a chapter president in FFA, is a member of Lake Land College’s livestock judging team, along with being the sixth generation of her family taking an active role in Heritage Family Farms. When asked what is it like to be apart of a family business that has had six generations take an active role in it Green said, “It’s a great feeling. It’s a little bit scary because you don’t want to be the generation that messes that up. I don’t want to be the generation that fails so, it’s a little scary, but farming is so ingrained in me and my family, and we have been doing it for generations and generations. It’s just something we’re really passionate about.”

Here at Lake Land College, Green is one of 16 freshmen on the livestock judging team, and Lake Land College’s livestock judging team is “one of the main driving factors as to why I choose Lake Land College,” and said the 16 freshmen’s ultimate goal, “is to compete at the national contest our sophomore year.”

Green is also one of Lake Land College’s Student Ambassadors, and when asked how she became a Student Ambassador Green said, “I am not one to sit down and not get involved, and Student Ambassador was an opportunity presented to me. I decided it was something I’d liked to do. I like talking to people and giving tours, and that is exactly what the ambassadors do.”

Green helps advocate for agriculture many ways in her day-to-day life, but being the 2019 Miss Moultrie-Douglas County Fair queen gives her a new, unique way to advocate for agriculture and see the state and county fairs differently. When asked what are some of her favorite memories as the 2019 Miss Moultrie-Douglas County Fair Green replied, “There’s so many. One of the big ones was the state pageant. It was a great experience. It really gave me an appreciation for something that I never seen before. Another great experience was the state fair. I usually spend time [at the state fair] exhibiting my livestock, hanging out with friends, and usually my family takes [4-H] campers there, but this time I was able to put my crown and sash on and see the state fair in a different light.”

While competing her supporters at the 2020 Miss Illinois County Fair pageant created a hashtag, #weareteamgreen2019, when asked who consisted of your biggest supporters Green replied, “My mom was one of my biggest supporters. She did a lot for me and some of our really close family friends. Also, my pageant director and my glam squad, [Green’s team of people who helped her get ready for competition.] They were always right there giving me compliments and getting me geared up for the next stage of competition.”

When asked what was her first reaction when it was announced she made it into the Top 15 Green replied, “I was excited, I had a weird sense of calm over me during that point. It was a different feeling.”

In the future after graduating from Lake Land College, Green plans to transfer to earn an advanced degree in Crop Science to do research in row crop production while taking an active role in Heritage Family Farms.