The do’s and do not’s of legalized pot

Chase Austin, Reporter

Beginning this year, Illinois began selling recreational marijuana to adults over the age of 21 from strictly licensed sellers, with or without a medical marijuana card, though those with a medical card face fewer restrictions. Based on frequently asked questions, polled from students here on campus, here is what you need to know.
How much can I possess?
Any Illinois resident can possess up to 30 grams, or about an ounce of cannabis flower, whereas non-residents can possess only up to 15 grams. The limit for residents to possess cannabis concentrate is five grams.
Where can I not smoke?
Any public places, such as streets or parks, in any motor vehicle, and on school grounds, except for medical users. You cannot be near someone under the age of 21, near an on-duty school bus driver, police officer, firefighter or corrections officer. Or on any property or place of business in which the owner has prohibited its use. This prohibition includes Lake Land College, which prevents the use of marijuana in its Student Code of Conduct and Disciplinary Procedures.
Can I grow marijuana plants?
Nonmedical users can not grow marijuana plants and are punishable by a fine of up to $200 for growing up to five plants.
Can I drive under the influence?
No, driving under the influence is still illegal.
What happens to those with convictions related to marijuana?
Those who are serving prison time for low-level drug offenses, and are not related to violent crimes, can be pardoned by the governor. Governor Pritzker pardoned 11,000 people convicted of low-level crimes on Dec. 31.
How much will marijuana be taxed?
A 10 percent sales tax is imposed on purchases of cannabis flowers or products with less than 35 percent THC. Edibles and other cannabis-infused products will face a 20 percent tax. Any product with a concentration higher than 35 percent comes with a 25 percent tax.