Lake Land College women’s basketball season kicks off

Austin Wendling, Co-Managing Editor

The Lake Land College women’s basketball season is now in full gear. The women have been practicing since Oct. 1 in preparation for this season. The team will consist of three sophomores and 12 freshmen making it an inexperienced team at the beginning of their season. That outlook is not deterring them, however, David Johnson, the head coach of the women’s basketball team, had this to say when asked about the impact of going into the season with an overwhelming number of freshmen compared to sophomores. “We are a very inexperienced team; however, I believe we are very talented and can overcome our lack of experience.”
Johnson believes the team has the athletic capabilities to achieve great things this season. “We are in the NJCAA preseason poll. Our goal is to win the Region and advance to the National Tournament.” The NJCAA or National Junior College Athletic Association began in 1939 to bolster junior college athletic and support student-athletes much in the same way true NCAA does, exclusively for two-year institutions.
For those interested in watching the games but were unable to attend. Live streams are available for viewing on the Lake Land College women’s basketball schedule page on the Lake Land College website. The next home game will be Dec. 7 against John A. Logan College.