Spring Break: Go while you still can!

Courtney Reel, Copy Editor

The college years are a glorious time, for one grand reason: SPRING BREAK. As a high school student, you’ve lived numerous years seeing spring break pictures from all of your college friends. Is going on a spring break trip really worth the hype? In my opinion, the answer is yes. Now for broke college students, this may not always be possible but if you are thrifty, you can definitely make it work! This was my first spring break of many, and I’ve got some tips for making your trip, not as cliche and expensive as everyone might think.

For my spring break, I took a trip out west to Arizona. Luckily, I have family that was full of hospitality and allowed me to stay in their home for the week. Visiting family is always a nice way to get out of your town or even state while still spending quality time with loved ones. If you don’t have any family to visit, you could always stay in a hostel for cheap in major cities to cut down cost. Having a general plan for a trip is always a good idea, but don’t be too strict because the best trips are often more spontaneous ones. Having a specific destination is something great to plan a trip around. For me, I wanted to see the Grand Canyon, so that was the top on my list of things to do. The rest of the week, just spend time exploring a place that you’ve never been to before. It doesn’t have to be across the country, it could literally be the next town over from you. I think that everyone should consider going on a trip for spring break while they’re still young. Chances are, this is the prime of your life. If you want to hike, run, bike or even just dance, this is the best time to do it. In this time of our lives, we still haven’t experienced the world and some of us have barely left the midwest. Enjoy this time of your life before real life hits you. We won’t always have this much energy or time to plan a trip we can enjoy with our friends. So make a bucket list, and try to use your spring break to cross some of those things off. There’s a whole world out there to explore, and if you’ve never left the comfort of your home you’ll never know what things you’re missing out on. Maybe a trip like this can spark your interest in a place you want to settle down in after college, or you can visit a university to see what possibilities await you when you transfer. Do something you’ve always wanted to do, see something you’ve always wanted to see and do it with your best friends because it’s such an added joy to experience things with the people you love. This is probably a total cliche but, you only live once. So, if you’ve never gone on a spring break trip, go while you still can!