Shadow and Bone

Abigail Buenker, Managing Editor

Netflix has given the green light for production on a new series based on Leigh Bardugo’s best-selling Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows novels from the Grishaverse series. Eric Heisserer, writer of smash hit and Netflix original Bird Box and Shawn Levy, executive producer of the network’s mega hit Stranger Things will be working together on the project. Heisserer, who created, wrote and produced the new series, will be bringing together the stories and characters of both Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows, thereby overlapping the series that take place separately in the universe Bardugo created called the Grishaverse.

The show will focus on restoring peace to the Grishaverse, a world that has been separated by a massive barrier of darkness where creatures feast on human flesh. Young soldier and protagonist of the series Alina Starkov realizes a power that could unite her distraught country Ravka. As she struggles to understand and wield her power, a litany of forces plots against her. Thugs, thieves, assassins and saints are all at war and it will take more than just magic to keep them all alive.

With over two million copies of the books sold (in English alone), Bardugo’s Grishaverse books have been loved by many. To date, it has been translated into 38 languages around the world. Bardugo’s newest book in the Grishaverse King of Scars will be released in late January in the United States.

Though a release date for the eight episode Netflix original series has not been confirmed, it is forecasted that the show could be released as early as the latter half of 2019.  A trailer for the series is likely to drop closer to the release date.

About the Writer
Abigail Buenker, Managing Editor

Abigail is currently the Managing Editor of The Navigator News. In years past, she worked on staff as the Copy Editor and Business Manager. In her current...

Shadow and Bone