Lakers round out season, hope for postseason

Abigail Buenker and Will Starwalt

The Lakers had a tough start to the season. Rounding out 2018 with a 4-8 record, the Lakers were looking to turn things around. Even with high ambitions, the boys had 3 straight losses in the new year, making their total record 4-11. With postseason play just around the corner, the Laker’s chances weren’t looking so good earlier in the season.

After a win on January 14 in a game against Indiana Elite Prep, the boys restored that spark of hope, winning 109 – 79. That win propelled them to win 4 more games, making them just below a .500 win record at 9-11.

Denis Alibegovic has been invaluable for the team as a knock down shooter. In the game against Southwestern Illinois, he tied the record with fourteen consecutive free throws in one game. The Lakers went 31-33 from the free throw line during that game and beat out Southwestern Illinois 110-105.

The Lakers then had to go to a very tough part of their schedule where they would be facing off #17 Olney Central College and #2 Vincennes University within a matter of two days. Those games against Olney and Vincennes, didn’t fall the Lakers way, making their overall record 9-14.  

In the game against Olney, Scott McGann (even in the loss) had a double-double, scoring 10 points and getting 10 rebounds.

Still not looking in a great position for the playoffs, the boys managed to rally back and get their 10th win of the season against Rend Lake with a winning score of 107-86. In this game, Scott McGann had 11 points, shooting 5-5 from inside the arc and made a three-pointer. Ty Waller helped out with his 7 defensive rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals.

After finally stopping their losing streak, the Lakers are in position for a late season push to the post season. With a only handful of games left in the season, the Lakers just might be able to pull it together for a chance at late post season play.  So come and cheer on your fellow Lakers as they finish out the season.

About the Writers
Abigail Buenker, Managing Editor

Abigail is currently the Managing Editor of The Navigator News. In years past, she worked on staff as the Copy Editor and Business Manager. In her current...

Will Starwalt, Sports Reporter

Will Starwalt is the Sports Reporter for the Navigator News. In his free time, Will enjoys watching the Cardinals beat the Cubs, browsing for memes, and...