Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

Matthew Harvey

Matthew Harvey

Matthew Harvey

Abigail Buenker, Managing Editor

The Broadcasting Club gives all students an opportunity to be a part of Lake Land’s own radio station, 89.9 The Max Alternative WLKL. The club does special live remotes at Student Activity Board events, area sports games, and does other on-air activities. Located in the Northwest Building on campus, 89.9 The Max is staffed by students enrolled in Radio/TV classes at the college. The 1300 watt station reaches an approximate 30-mile radius of the college campus and gives listeners news updates, weather forecasts, local events, and campus activities.

Members of the club can gain experience through on-campus and off-campus activities.

Did you know that Lake Land College doesn’t just have its own radio station, but it also has its own TV production set! Broadcasting students use the set to learn even more about television broadcasting.

Students are also able to attend radio broadcasting conferences, like the Illinois Broadcasters Association Student Conference. The conference is mainly attended by students and staff of radio broadcasting programs from four-year institutions. Lake Land is one of two community colleges that attend. For many years, members of Lake Land Broadcasting Club are nominated for Silver Dome Awards at the conference. This fall, club member and Radio/TV student John Enright placed in the 2018 Illinois Broadcasters Association Student Silver Dome Awards and received second place in the Best Sales Presentation category. Enright was rated on overall content and creativity of his presentation and mostly focused on the benefits of buying underwriting with 89.9 The Max Alternative.

Broadcasting Club also prioritizes giving back to their listening community. Each year, the club collects nonperishables and canned food through their “Can Request” food drive which benefits local food pantries. The club places wrapped boxes all around campus and advertised the drive on the radio. Many staff members also incentivize their students to give to the drive by giving students much needed bonus points at the end of the semester.

Not only does the station play alternative hits, report from live events, and keep listeners up to date on campus and community updates on air, but WLKL also has made strides in keeping the connection going via their social media platforms. 89.9 The Max Alternative is available anywhere in the world at any time on their website. They also have an in-studio live stream, so that radio patrons can not only listen but also watch broadcasters in the studio. 89.9 The Max Alternative also encourages any of their listeners to give the station a call or send them an email to make a request.

About the Writer
Abigail Buenker, Managing Editor

Abigail is currently the Managing Editor of The Navigator News. She has been on staff since her freshman year when the paper was under the out-of-sight,...

• Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

College Life

“We can know that we are doing something to help other people”: LLC instructor makes a difference

• Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

Features

Dr. Stovall retires after 25 years of service to students

• Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

Features

An experience shared with Levi Reynolds

• Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

Features

Bryce and Blake Lohman: Twin CEO alumni

• Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

Features

Students petition for Chick-fil-A at Lake Land College

• Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

Features

Where are they now: Lori Clarke

• Entertainment

Lee DeWyze plays Lake Land

• College Life

Prof X: Revealed

• Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

Features

Lakers Respond: “What is your favorite Halloween memory?”

• Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club

Features

Student CEO: bettering lives through farm photography

Club Spotlight: Broadcasting Club