Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

Back to Article
Back to Article

Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

Abigail Buenker, Managing Editor

The Higher Learning Commission made their two-day visit to campus and completed their comprehensive evaluation of Lake Land College. The Higher Learning Commission is a regional accreditation agency that accredits degree-granting colleges and universities that are based in a 19-state region of the United States. HLC’s institutional accreditation includes all degree levels on campus and online. Accreditation validates the quality of an institution as a whole and evaluates multiple aspects of an institution, such as its academics, administration, mission, finances, and resources. HLC also makes sure that colleges and universities are making strides toward continuous improvement. The Higher Learning Commission and its agencies are recognized by the United States Department of Education and are responsible for evaluating standards of higher education across the nation.

During their visit to Lake Land College on November 5thand 6th, the Higher Learning Commission team met with many staff members, notably Accreditation Co-Chairs Kathy Black and Emily Ramage and the Standard Pathway team members who were all instrumental in planning the HLC visit. The HLC team also met with members of Admissions, Counseling Services, Financial Aid, Student Success Staff, Human Resources, Academic Services, Career Services, and many other groups and committees at the college.

The accreditation team consisted of Paula Davis, retired Vice President of Academic Affairs at Trinidad State Junior College; Daniel Corr, President of Arizona Western College; Darcy Orozco, Dean of Front Range Community College; and Patricia Smith, an instructor at Metropolitan Community College.

There were also different open forums that were held for college staff and faculty to attend as well as a luncheon for members of student groups of Lake Land College (Student Government, Student Ambassadors, The Navigator News and Student Activity Board).

Although the site visit portion of the accreditation is complete, the process is not completed yet. The HLC review team will spend the next month compiling their report and will submit their it to the Higher Learning Commission in January 2019.  The final report will be finalized in April 2019. Lake Land College has continually been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 1973.

About the Writer
Abigail Buenker, Managing Editor

Abigail is currently the Managing Editor of The Navigator News. In years past, she worked on staff as the Copy Editor and Business Manager. In her current...

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

Graduation: Have you finished school or has school finished you?

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

Transfer Resource Room

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

Lake Land welcomes new VP of Student Services: Beth Gerl

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

A conversation with the dead: Psychic comes to campus

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

Sarah Bush brings mobile mammography to campus

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

Laker Nest looking for Student Input

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

Please welcome your new Student Trustee and SGA Sophomore Delegates

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

Leading students to success: The NSLS

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

Student Government wants YOU!!!

• Higher Learning Commission visits LLC

News

Serve the community: Volunteering with LLC

Higher Learning Commission visits LLC