Mainstream Medicine vs. Holistic Healthcare – Does Anybody Really Win?

John Enright

John Enright

John Enright, Reporter

The health industry is pretty versatile. There is everything from assorted vitamins and prescription drugs on one end, to essential oils and assorted herbal treatments on the other. It’s surprising at how aggressive the conversation of health solutions can be on social media. How is it that there are so many answers to singular questions in the medical field? Perhaps there is more at work here than the desire for mankind’s wellbeing.

The medical industry is losing the faith of the public fast. According to the Forbes Website article, “The Five Biggest Problems in Healthcare Today,” written by Leah Binder in 2013, half of the Health Care industry’s expenses go toward unnecessary care. As of the time that this article was written, there was at least a one in four chance that one might experience some harm during a hospital stay. The article also mentions how doctors are also paid by insurance companies regardless of the quality of their work. With an overabundance of false or vague information available on health, it’s also difficult for us to judge how well a medical service is doing when caring for our health. With all of these factors considered, is it any wonder that people have started to look elsewhere for answers to their medical questions?

Holistic treatments are more consumer friendly, right? Well, it’s pretty clear that no matter how “whole grain” your Frosted Mini-Wheats are, they are chock full of sugar. Common health phrases being used on front labels give relatively little meaning to the actual wholesomeness of the product. Then you have homebrew remedies like Jilly Juice. If you haven’t seen the Dr. Phil episode on Jilly Juice or the many reaction videos to it on YouTube, this substance is claimed by its creator to be able to cure everything from mental illness to lost limbs. It doesn’t, of course. It just makes it very likely that your kidneys will fall apart and that’s never nice, is it? A less nefarious, but still questionable product would be the Plexus, “Pink Drink”. According to the Healthline.com article, “Plexus Slim Review: Weightloss, Side-Effects and More,” written by Registered Dietitian Helen West, it is the combination of four weak weight-loss supplements to make a theoretically stronger weight loss supplement. There are no scientific studies supporting this product’s claim to fame. What is especially odd is the business practice of “recruiting ambassadors” that they have. The Marketing Mom article, “Plexus Ambassador Review – Legit Home Based Business or Huge Scam” states that ambassadors are users that are paid by Plexus to frequently advertise their product to family and friends and to recruit them as “ambassadors” as well. When the customer is on the payroll, there can be some question as to the objective nature of customer response. This makes the product seem all the more sketchy.

No matter what, it’s a gamble trusting anyone with development of medicine or remedies to meet one’s daily health needs. However difficult it may be to distinguish whether or not something is for you own wellbeing or someone else’s profit, it is important to remember that humanity’s knowledge of the human body is still growing. All one can do is try their best to take care of their health. It’s clear that the mainstream medical industry is not completely incompetent with its abilities to treat various diseases and ailments. The Holistic market also has ways to encourage customers to keep a close eye on their diet through its range of products. In the end, if a party from either side claims to have all the answers, they’re probably just trying to sell something.

• Opinion

The Radish: The Definitive Yeet

• Mainstream Medicine vs. Holistic Healthcare – Does Anybody Really Win?

Opinion

Catholics should not tolerate abuse

Opinion

License to edge

Opinion

Cosplay is not consent (neither are short skirts)

Opinion

The shady business practices of Amazon

Opinion

D.B. Cooper: Jumping out of the plane and into infamy

Opinion

How to study without wanting to cry

• Fun

The Radish: Is water wet?

Opinion

Graduate Column: Ethan

• Opinion

Why we love sports