Hidden music gems

Cedric Peoples, Distribution Manager

As November comes around the corner, it’s getting cold outside. What better way to spend your time then staying indoors and listening to some new music? I’ve got some hidden gems for you to dig into and don’t worry, there is something here for everyone.

Starting with the ever-popular pop genre, we have a whole bunch of great newcomers. New urban pop artists Social House released their first single “Magic in the Hamptons,” a song with a feel-good, upbeat mood. On the other side of the pop spectrum is “Run Run Run” by Celeste Buckingham, a Slovakia-based soul-pop artist. Writers of 2007 jam “Potential Breakup Song” Aly & AJ are back after a 10-year hiatus with their new EP titled “Ten Years” with a new jam “Take Me.” If you want fresh bops, check out the deep, inspiration song “You Say” by Lauren Daigle or the fiery “Sweet but Psycho” by Ava Max.

Slowing down a little bit to folk and roots style music we have a lot of good stuff. To start off, there is “Gray or Blue” by Jaymay, a New York anti-folk artist with amazing lyrical skill. Blues and roots fans will love “We Made It” by Cedric Burnside, a blues and roots artist with a strong sound who also happens to have the same name as me, so that’s cool. One of the most exciting upcoming British artists right now is Jade Bird with her single “Uh Huh.” A few chill, folk-pop favorites are “Obstacles” by Syd Matters and “Chateau” by Angus & Julia Stone. Gamers might know these last two from the soundtrack to “Life is Strange”.

As much as everyone loves Pop and Folk, Country has some of the most dedicated fans in the world. If you are looking for the newest, freshest stuff give a listen to “Rockin’ All Night Long” by Adam Hambrick and “If I Were You” by Jillian Jacqueline featuring Keith Urban. Fans of the slower side will like “Suitcase” by Gwen Sebastian, a fairly unknown but immensely talented artist. If you want it back to the basics “Singles You Up” by Jordan Davis and “Sunshine & Whiskey” by Frankie Ballard are right up your dirt road.

Switching gears from the twang of country, to the rhythm of rap. Chiddy Bang, the duo behind “Opposite of Adults” has recently also come back from a hiatus of their own releasing “Ride” a single that is just a ton of fun to listen to. Although not new, Lil Dicky(LD) and Watsky are some rappers that I feel are unappreciated for their years of talent and innovation. Listen to “How Can U Sleep” by LD and “Hey, A**hole” by Watsky if you need proof of their flow. “Thick N***** and Anime T******” is a hilarious song by Dbangz, the next big comedy rapper with a good flow. Think of Ugly God or Lil B to draw comparisons. Lastly, check out K. Flay for an interesting and diverse sounding artist who has toured with many people from Passion Pit to Snoop Dogg. “Can’t Sleep” is a particularly good one.

Last but certainly not least, let’s talk about everyone’s favorite genre: Rock. If you like it heavy and metal, you will love “Move It” by Down & Dirty and if you like it softer with a pop twist, then you’ll prefer something like “California Friends” by The Regrettes. Blowing up in popularity with their last album (#5 on the US iTunes top album charts), check out “True Colors” by Slaves. If you love awesome guitarists “This Means War” by H.E.R.O. is for you. Fans of the band Issues will love to know that lead singer Tyler Carter also has a solo career with hit single “Pressure”.

About the Writer
Cedric Peoples, Distribution Manager

Cedric Peoples is the Archivist and the Distribution Manager for The Navigator News. He doesn't do much of anything and has been procrastinating writing...

Hidden music gems