Tiger Woods comes back swinging

Courtesy of Flickr

Courtesy of Flickr

Abigail Buenker, Copy Editor

Tiger Woods raised both of his hands in celebration on the 18th green at the completion of the PGA Tour. Though this used to be a familiar scene of Woods, spectators haven’t seen the golfer win a tournament for quite a while- 1,876 days to be exact.
At his last victory at the Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone in August 2013, Woods was slated as the No. 13 player in the world. Due to injury, Woods had to put his physical health at the forefront and suspend play temporarily. After many surgeries and even a DUI arrest in 2017, most predicted that Woods was washed up and wouldn’t return to the competitive golf scene.
However, after many surgeries and time to recuperate, the 42-year-old returned to the green in December 2017 as the 1,199 player in the world, a far cry from his glory days. Over the past two years, Woods slowly rose through the ranks and built his swing back.
At the conclusion of the PGA tour on September 23rd, Tiger surprised thousands of gathering fans at East Lake with his big comeback marking the 80th victory of his PGA Tour career- only two short of the career record.
After he hit his second shot into a bunker just short of the green, the crowd came through the spectator ropes and rushed around the golfer. It was pure pandemonium. Fans chased after any inch of grass they could find to watch Tiger Woods make his historic comeback. He won by two shots over Billy Horschel, as Justin Rose captured the season-long FedEx Cup title. Rose birdied the last hole to capture the FedEx Cup and a $10 million bonus. Had he not birdied the last, Woods would have won his third FedEx title.
Next up for Tiger is the Ryder Cup in France. Hopefully, he will be able to take the momentum of this massive win to France.

About the Writer
Abigail Buenker, Copy Editor

Abigail is currently the Copy Editor of The Navigator News. She has been apart of the staff since her freshman year when the paper was under the out-of-sight, top tier reign of Derby Roan. In the future, Abigail plans to transfer to a four-year university after graduating from Lake Land and will pursue a career in either business or accounting. In her practically non-existent spare time, Abby also enjoys searching for vintage vinyl records, writing explicitly in the third person, and playing the piano.

Tiger Woods comes back swinging