Lake Land to host blood drive and breast cancer screenings

Abigail Buenker, Copy Editor

The Student Government Association will be hosting a blood drive on campus on Wednesday, October 10. The drive will be located in Webb Hall in room 081 and will be held there from 9 am until 3 pm.

Vice President of the Student Government Association, Chipman Schmidt, hopes Lakers will become involved due to a recent decline in donations at their annual drive.

“By participating, you would be helping instill the importance of donating blood for our generation,” Schmidt said.

Schmidt advises all donors who are apprehensive about giving blood to relax and talk to the nurses about any concerns that they may have.

“I do recommend, even though I know how hard it can be, to get a good night’s sleep the day before and the night before giving and drink plenty of liquids. It’s not painful, just feels a little weird.”

Donors are required to bring a photo ID with them before donation. Only about 38 percent of the US population is able to donate but only about 10 percent regularly give. SGA encourages all students to utilize their activity period on Wednesday and save a life with their donation. The donation process is fairly painless, easy, and only takes about an hour.

On the following day, Thursday, October 11, Sarah Bush Lincoln will be on campus with their mobile mammography van. Mammography breast imaging is important in the detection of breast cancer because it is fast, accurate and inexpensive. Most women do not have access to regular mammograms and the mobile van offers convenient care.

Mammograms are available to all women, regardless of income or insurance and are above the age of 35. Early detection saves lives! Schedule your digital mammogram today by calling 1-800-639-5929.