Hooters Fun Facts

Cedric Peoples, Distribution Manager/Archivist

Here are some interesting facts about the 35-year-old institution that is Hooters courtesy of E!News:

1.) Because Hooters uses a loophole of hiring their girls as entertainers, and not servers, they can get away with hiring “thin” and “pretty” girls.

2.) All new hires are taught how to draw an owl in ketchup during their training.

3.) Hair must be worn down at all times. Ponytails are never allowed.

4.) Makeup is mandatory, by the handbook. According to the handbook, makeup “should appear natural to best accentuate your features”

5.) One a month there is a special costume day and Hooters Girls supply their own costumes.

6.) Sneakers and socks are also mandatory. There is also a proper way to scrunch the sock. (Apparently, it makes your legs look leaner?)

7.) Some locations have “seasonal” attire. For example, in some cold weather climates, Hooters girls get to wear long sleeves.

8.) Hooters Girls cannot enter or leave the Hooters building with their uniform showing, other than the shoes for safety reasons. If a girl wears her uniform outside of work, she is supposed to be fired. Immediately.

9.) On that note, though, Hooters Girls do get to keep the uniforms even once they no longer work for the company. (So they can wear it to Halloween or something.)

10.) There are 16 steps to Hooters Girls customer service and, technically, a minimum of three Hooters Girls are supposed to stop by your table during your meal. It’s called the E3 system: Every Hooters Girl, Every Guest, Every Day.

11.) You learn choreographed dances during training and if you hear a particular song start playing when you’re on the clock, you’re supposed to stop every and dance.

12.) Hooters Girls get free meals every shift…if they choose to order the Hooters approved “healthy” options, which don’t appear on the menu. Otherwise, there’s a sliding scale on meal discounts (usually 50 percent off for wings, etc.)

13.)  Some restaurants offer discounts on tanning and gym memberships for Hooters Girls.

14.) Hooters Girls are supposed to yell “Hi! Welcome to Hooters!” every time someone walks in the restaurant. (According to one former Hooters girl, “It dies quick.”)

and finally,

15.) Yes, your Hooter Girl is making minimum wage. Please tip accordingly.

About the Writer

Hooters Fun Facts