Community college is what you make of it

Zoë Donovan, Managing Editor

As my first year of college comes to a close, I have recently been reflecting on last 12 months, particularly the last few weeks of my high school career as well as the week before the fall semester began. I wasn’t in a good place at the time.

I have no problem saying that I was dreading going to Lake Land when I registered last spring. Most of my friends were going to four-year universities and I was stuck living at home for another two years. I wanted to go to “real college,” as I called it. I saw Lake Land as simply an extension to high school.

I’m glad to say that my mind has been changed and that I wish I had come in with a more open perspective. I know that even as students some people just want to get out of here, that they’re just doing their time until they can go somewhere with Greek Life and dorms.

The worst thing students can do is treat the college like simply another stop. Going from car to class to car isn’t always the best option. Take the time to check out events happening on campus, join a club, go to an SAB event. If you need direction, visit the Student Life office and see what you can do to get involved.

Lake Land may be a small school, but free events are held every Wednesday to help get students involved. SAB works hard to make sure that things run smoothly. They book speakers and musicians and organize other fun events.

Community college also offers the same, if not better, educators than some four-year universities. Students could be paying as much 10 times what it costs to go to Lake Land a year and be taught by graduate students. Smaller class sizes also allow more interaction between students and their teachers. The teachers are here to teach, not publish papers or books such as at a typical four-year school, or deal with the side jobs that high school teachers often have to. The priority at Lake Land is to educate the students.

The best thing I can recommend for future community college students is to get involved in some way. It will make these two years more enjoyable. While it may seem upsetting now because you’re not going to a big fancy school, the financial savings are worth it and you are getting a quality education.

While community college may not be your first choice, know that there is no reason to be bitter or miserable about it. Lake Land is what you make of it and getting involved can definitely leave a positive impact on you.