Why we love sports

Will Starwalt, Reporter

Why do we love sports?

This has been a question that has been asked by people who don’t really understand this whole following of teams or players and seeing them as larger-than-life figures.

Try to remember when you were just a little kid and seeing that athlete or team for the first time and thinking, “I want to be like them.” Or you could possibly recall going into the backyard as a kid and trying to recreate those all-star moments that you saw on TV, on the biggest stage of them all. And if you don’t have those memories as a kid playing sports in the backyard, you may have the emotional attachment to it loving some of the stories that the games have to offer you.

Most notably was the upset in this year’s March Madness tournament, when the number one Virginia lost to the number 16 seed UMBC Retrievers, which has never happened before in the history of the men’s March Madness tournament. People out in streets and bars were burning their brackets and losing control.

During the World Series when the Cubs ended there 108-year drought of winning a World Series, this moment brought grown men to weeping tears of joys, and broke the curse of Steve Bartman from the Oct. 14, 2003, playoff game, the last time the Cubs were in the playoffs.

In the NFL, think of the past two Super Bowls. In Super Bowl 51, the Atlanta Falcons blew a 28-3 lead and proceeded to lose the game in over time, which had everyone upset except Patriots fans. The next year in Super Bowl 52, the evil empire know as the New England Patriots were back vs the Philadelphia Eagles, where this time history had a happy ending and the empire fell to a more then thrilled fan base, as this win caused riots in the city of Philadelphia and even caused people to get the biggest trick play in the Super Bowl which everyone now knows the play as the “Philly Special.” There are happy moments everywhere in sports.

At the PyeongChang Winter games in 2018, the United States women’s national team made miracle on ice 2.0 when they upset the Canadians in the gold medal game. Theses moments are on a national and a worldwide level, but these moments happen all the time in your hometown with the people in your community in the rec leagues. You see kids and adults finding escapes, having something or someone to root for, or just doing something to keep in shape.

A lot of people love sports for different reasons. If you’re one of those people who doesn’t love sports, just think how you would answer if someone asked you about what you loved and made you happy, because everyone has something that makes them happy. Mine happens to be sports.

About the Writer
Will Starwalt, Sports Reporter

Will Starwalt is the Sports Reporter for the Navigator News. In his free time, Will enjoys watching the Cardinals beat the Cubs, browsing for memes, and...

Why we love sports