Movie Review: A Quiet Place

Silence never sounded so terrifying

Screenshot by Abigail Buenker

Abigail Buenker, Business Manager

John Krasinki’s new motion picture ‘A Quiet Place’ was just as thrilling as it was captivating. The film hones in on a world in which fierce creatures lurk about, ready to devour anything that makes a sound. The few people who have survived this mysterious holocaust have learned that these creatures, though blind, are extremely acute of hearing. Though the audience is never told why the creatures are ravaging the earth or why they have been preying on the human race, one thing is for sure: silence is the only key to survival.

The film focuses in on two young parents (played by Krasinski and wife Emily Blunt)  and their small children that are navigating their way through the countryside as quietly as possible. The family is forced to live their lives in a monastic manner as they quietly read books, farm the land, and silently and fervently pray. Given their predicament, everything the family does cannot include any gadgets, noisy machinery, or electronic entertainment. Their farming is done by hand; their fishing is done with pre-modern equipment; even their walking is done barefoot. Throughout the movie, only soft whispers and sophisticated and elaborate sign language is used by the family to communicate, all of which is translated to the audience with closed captioning.

Most of all, ‘A Quiet Place’ is unlike traditional horror films that rely on jump scares and cheap theatrics. Instead, it is a new take on what makes us all afraid. In most horror movies, monsters, creatures, and beasts are usually indicative of universal fears like death, illness, failure, or even ourselves. This particular film is an exception to the rule and proves that what we need to keep the darkness of the world at bay is silence, simplicity, sticking together, and caring for one another.

About the Writer
Abigail Buenker, Managing Editor

Abigail is currently the Managing Editor of The Navigator News. She has been on staff since her freshman year when the paper was under the out-of-sight,...

Movie Review: A Quiet Place