Was your bracket busted?

Abigail Buenker, Business Manager

If you’re like most Americans that filled out a bracket for NCAA Men’s basketball, your March was filled with madness. The tournament has seen many upsets and close-scoring games which have busted many brackets.

Though it’s been a wild ride, fans saw tourney history made when number sixteen seed UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County) beat number one Virginia 74-54. Before the UMBC Retrievers’ win there were 25 perfect brackets left across all major bracket games, none of which had UMBC winning. Only 2.18 per cent of all brackets picked the underdog – the UMBC Retrievers – to pull off the upset, which broke about 14 per cent of brackets that had Virginia going all the way to win the championship. Though UMBC lost in their next round, the Retrievers will go down in the history books as the 16-seed that beat Virginia.

The other notable upset of the tournament came from the south in 11-seed Loyola Chicago. Loyola pulled the win over fan favorite Miami (a six-seed) with a last second three-pointer. In another close match, Loyola swept the second round from Tennessee and later defeated Nevada by only one point. A true Cinderella team, Loyola Chicago has propelled their way to the final four with special support from arguably one of the most famous Catholics in the college sports world, Sister Jean, the 98-year-old team chaplain who has been supporting her team from the sidelines.

Later came another upset in No. 14 seed Buffalo when they downed No. 3 Arizona — a team picked to win the championship by 4.1 per cent of all Bracket Challenge Game brackets — by 21 points. After the win, however, the University of Kentucky stifled Nevada with a 20 point lead, winning the second round.

The results of the Elite Eight set up a pair of highly intriguing semifinal matchups, with two No. 1 seeds in Villanova and Kansas, plus No. 3 seed Michigan that hasn’t lost since early February taking on the most improbable of opponents in No. 11 Loyola-Chicago, the best Cinderella story March Madness has seen in quite some time. The programs that survived and advanced up until the final four are Loyola-Chicago out of the South, Michigan from the West, Villanova in the East and Kansas through the Midwest.

• Was your bracket busted?

Entertainment

Book of the Month: Left to Tell

• Was your bracket busted?

News

Final N.S.L.S. conference for the spring semester on April 4th

• Was your bracket busted?

Campus

Comedian Kevin Yee coming to Lake Land

• Was your bracket busted?

Entertainment

New Orleans Jazz Festival & Coachella to attract crowds in April

• Was your bracket busted?

Opinion

2018 MLB season winner predictions

• Was your bracket busted?

Entertainment

Warped Tour and Rock USA bring heavy hitters

• Campus

Lakers Respond: How was your Spring Break?

• Sports

Workout Corner: Split Squats

• Was your bracket busted?

Features

Where Are They Now?

• Was your bracket busted?

Entertainment

The Radish: Why Are Memes’ Life Expectancies Shortening?

Was your bracket busted?