Was your bracket busted?

Abigail Buenker, Business Manager

If you’re like most Americans that filled out a bracket for NCAA Men’s basketball, your March was filled with madness. The tournament has seen many upsets and close-scoring games which have busted many brackets.

Though it’s been a wild ride, fans saw tourney history made when number sixteen seed UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County) beat number one Virginia 74-54. Before the UMBC Retrievers’ win there were 25 perfect brackets left across all major bracket games, none of which had UMBC winning. Only 2.18 per cent of all brackets picked the underdog – the UMBC Retrievers – to pull off the upset, which broke about 14 per cent of brackets that had Virginia going all the way to win the championship. Though UMBC lost in their next round, the Retrievers will go down in the history books as the 16-seed that beat Virginia.

The other notable upset of the tournament came from the south in 11-seed Loyola Chicago. Loyola pulled the win over fan favorite Miami (a six-seed) with a last second three-pointer. In another close match, Loyola swept the second round from Tennessee and later defeated Nevada by only one point. A true Cinderella team, Loyola Chicago has propelled their way to the final four with special support from arguably one of the most famous Catholics in the college sports world, Sister Jean, the 98-year-old team chaplain who has been supporting her team from the sidelines.

Later came another upset in No. 14 seed Buffalo when they downed No. 3 Arizona — a team picked to win the championship by 4.1 per cent of all Bracket Challenge Game brackets — by 21 points. After the win, however, the University of Kentucky stifled Nevada with a 20 point lead, winning the second round.

The results of the Elite Eight set up a pair of highly intriguing semifinal matchups, with two No. 1 seeds in Villanova and Kansas, plus No. 3 seed Michigan that hasn’t lost since early February taking on the most improbable of opponents in No. 11 Loyola-Chicago, the best Cinderella story March Madness has seen in quite some time. The programs that survived and advanced up until the final four are Loyola-Chicago out of the South, Michigan from the West, Villanova in the East and Kansas through the Midwest.

About the Writer
Abigail Buenker, Copy Editor
Abigail is currently the Copy Editor of The Navigator News. She has been apart of the staff since her freshman year when the paper was under the out-of-sight, top tier reign of Derby Roan. In the future, Abigail plans to transfer to a four-year university after graduating from Lake Land and will pursue a career...

Was your bracket busted?