Winter Olympics

A preview of the 2018 games in Pyeongchang, South Korea

The+2018+Winter+Olympics+hosted+in+Pyeongchang%2C+South+Korea+will+begin+on+February+8th+and+will+last+until+February+25th.+
The 2018 Winter Olympics hosted in Pyeongchang, South Korea will begin on February 8th and will last until February 25th.

Ethan Neal, Reporter

It seems that for every two years, people put down the weapons, hold back the insults, and instead, watch what the world has to offer on the global stage at the Olympics.

To those who are unaware, the Olympics have always been set to occur on even years, like the 2008 games in Beijing, and the 2010 games in Vancouver. The torch from the summer to the winter games and vice versa change two years from one another. Moreso, by every fourth year, the same seasonal competition is welcomed, hence the 2012 summer Olympics in London, and the 2016 summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. This year will be the winter Olympics.

The events held at the winter games are principally not traditional American sports; rather, they are more commonplace in Europe. Nonetheless, the 2018 winter Olympics will feature fifteen sports with team events. Nearly half of the sports are divided in half, based on the factor that the games are settled on slopes and ice. The slope sports are alpine skiing, biathlon, cross-country skiing, freestyle skiing, Nordic combined ski jumping and snowboarding. The ice sports are bobsledding, curling, figure skating, hockey, luge, short track, skeleton and speed skating.

Of course, it could never be the Olympics without the rising stars and the prevalent risk-takers that perform and master their sport’s events. Notable athletes on team U.S.A. returning for the 2018 games include alpine skiers Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn.

Vonn, a world cup champion is set to embark on a long-awaited comeback after not performing in 2014 due to injury. Vonn’s predecessor Mikaela Shiffrin was awarded her first medals at age 22, and is only second behind Vonn in world cup wins.

Well-publicized snowboarder Shaun White will also represent team U.S.A. in 2018. A two-time gold medalist, White plans to dedicate this year to the halfpipe in snowboarding.

Beginning on Feb. 8, and concluding on Feb. 25, the Olympics will be broadcasted on NBC, NBCSN, CNBC and the USA Network. A first for NBC, the games will be shown live in every  time zone. In years past, the broadcast was actually delayed, or not live.

Another first is that South Korea will be hosting the winter Olympic games for the first time in the nation’s history. The last games held in South Korea were the 1988 summer Olympics, represented in Seoul. This time around, Pyeongchang, South Korea, will serve as host. Located in the province of Gangwon, Pyeongchang is prominent for its mountains and warm wintertime meals.

• Entertainment

Guilty Pleasure Music

• Winter Olympics

Entertainment

Throwback Apps

• Winter Olympics

Sports

Athlete of the Month: Koty Crowder

• Winter Olympics

Entertainment

Guilty Pleasure Music

• Winter Olympics

Campus

Professor X: February 2018

• Winter Olympics

Entertainment

Guilty Pleasure: Celtic Music

• Winter Olympics

Opinion

Politicians for president, not celebrities

• Winter Olympics

Entertainment

Guilty Pleasure Music

• Opinion

Thoughts on Oprah For President

• Winter Olympics

Campus

Undecided vs. Deciding

Winter Olympics