Guilty Pleasure: Celtic Music

The Cranberries perform in Barcelona, Spain, before the death of their lead singer on Jan. 15.

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Zoë Donovan, Managing Editor

We all have some music that we feel a bit bad about enjoying, either because it’s embarrassing or silly or generally unpopular or weird. I usually have no problem owning my music taste; however, I do have one section of my music library that doesn’t often surface around others. My own musical crime is anything that sounds even slightly Celtic, from drinking songs to instrumentals to even a couple Ed Sheeran songs.

The only reason I can scrounge up for my weird little obsession is that I did Irish Dancing for a few years when I was a kid. While I can’t remember any of what I learned, I still always have the urge to do a little jig when anything with fiddle or bagpipes comes on.

The Drop Kick Murphy’s and The Wolfe Tones are some of my personal favorites regarding bands. For those looking for a more modern look at it, The Script has ‘Paint the Town Green.’ Writing this soon after the death of Dolores O’Riordan makes it imperative to include ‘Zombie’ by the Cranberries in my list as well.

Guilty Pleasure: Celtic Music