Thoughts on Oprah For President

Why are we turning our political attention towards celebrities?

Zoë Donovan, Managing Editor

Oprah Winfrey has been a pop culture icon for decades now.  She is someone that many people look up and admire. Her Golden Globe speech was something that struck people as uplifting, a call to action for America to speak out on injustices faced every day and to urge people to take a stand.

As college students, most of us are able to vote and in doing so we should all be informed. While Winfrey hasn’t come out and said that she’s running outright, there is a lot of speculation on the subject. On this I urge voters to take a step back and look at the situation. Are we really looking to celebrities for legal counsel?

People often like celebrities more than politicians, but we need to be aware that many celebrities didn’t go to school to work in the government. They don’t know the processes any more than anyone else. And while personally I’d take Oprah over Trump any day, I think as a country and a culture we need to stop looking toward celebrities. Real life isn’t a television show, and putting unqualified people into power isn’t how we as a nation are going to be able to move forward.

While Winfrey’s speech was moving and addressed important issues in Hollywood including lack of diversity and the rampant sexual misconduct and abuse, we shouldn’t base our presidential candidates on acting awards or their number of twitter followers.

Thoughts on Oprah For President