From stage to page, Watsky grabs attention

Zoë Donovan, Managing Editor

Slam poet, rapper, performer, writer and now published author George Watsky shows his versatility in his writing through not only his most notable medium of rap, but as of 2016 in the novel ‘How to Ruin Everything.’ The book is a collection of thirteen essays.

Topics vary from the wildly entertaining story of how he once smuggled a Narwhal tusk across the border of Canada and the U.S. for his aunt’s 100th birthday to his own heartfelt experiences with juvenile epilepsy, and some of the things he went through as a performer in colleges not unlike the performers our own Student Activity Board brings to campus for events.

This book has a wide enough variety of stories that each person can find at least one they enjoy. Being that he is fairly well-versed in writing, much of his work seems to flow very well, with poignant lines buried throughout. It’s not something a reader will come back to over and over again, searching for some kind of meaning. However, it’s also not something that quickly gets old. It’s not choppy, nor is it boring like so many other essay collections can be.

Many people see the word essay and immediately lose any interest in the material that they are being shown. Some still associate essays with school work, and who wants to read some kid’s composition homework? Though the definition of the work as an essay these are above the ability of the vast majority of high school students. They are funny and insightful, and show the growth that many young people go through in different ways.