Guilty Pleasure: Food

Zoë Donovan, Managing Editor

I’m sure Macaroni and Cheese is an almost universal comfort food, but here’s the thing: homemade Mac and Cheese absolutely disgusts me, and don’t even think about putting it in the oven. Boxed Macaroni and Cheese though, that’s where life really gets good.

Adoring only the boxed kind isn’t my only reason for feeling guilty and that lies in my own inability to properly digest lactose. I know that it’s a fairly common thing for people, but for me if I have more than a sip of milk I am going to have a stomach ache within the hour. Luckily for me, there is medicine I can take before I dive into a bowl that will counteract the effects, though I don’t deem much dairy food actually worthy of me having to take a pill to eat it.

Luckily for me, lactose-free milk exists, as does margarine. I have another reason to feel guilty though, because the best boxed Mac n’ Cheese is not Kraft or, god forbid, Velveeta. No, the best Mac n’ Cheese award goes to Aldi’s off-brand spirals.

Boxed Mac n’ Cheese is a quick and easy affair to make with a max cooking time of 15 minutes. Pair it with some frozen chicken nuggets and I can even pretend I’m not overwhelmed by all of the homework that is currently sitting in my backpack and am instead back to my grade school days watching Danny Phantom at a friend’s house.

It’s just one of those childhood foods, and it’s a short escape to remember when things were a lot less stressful for all of us and the greatest challenges we faced were basic arithmetic and spelling.

Guilty Pleasure: Food