Girly is okay

Romance isn't inferior to adventure

Catrina Oberfeldt, Multimedia Manager

This month, I wrote about my guilty pleasure TV show, and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since. My show was a romantic drama, and I couldn’t place why I felt guilty about that.

After pondering it for a while, I realized there was no reason I should ever be ashamed of a show I enjoy. But why do I still feel embarrassed about loving it so much?

I kept wanting to say the show was too girly, but that felt degrading as a female. Why does “girly” have such a negative connotation? It seems like a romance is only acceptable if it’s in an action movie. From an early age, we gender certain types of entertainment.

For instance, there are princess movies and crime-fighting heroes. Girls are encouraged to be a princess, and boys are the hero who saves them. As we get older, there are jokes about how men hate romantic comedies, and there are quite a few men who do. I know men who have never even watched a rom-com before. Some aren’t even open to the idea.

While this doesn’t apply to every person out there, I feel like this is the trope and we all buy into it. Action movies tend to do better in theatres than the “girly” movies. The girls who love action are “too cool” for romance. Everyone can enjoy action, but to enjoy something for women, even as a woman, is lesser. Because to be a woman in this society is to be lesser.

This concept of gendered interests is damaging to young people. It’s something that as a society we need to be aware of so that children don’t continue to carry this into adulthood. With this knowledge comes the power to change how we think and how the future thinks. We should unabashedly love whatever it is speaks to us. Even if it’s a little girly.

About the Contributors
Catrina Oberfeldt, Multimedia Manager
Catrina is the Social Media Manager for The Navigator News. In fall of 2018, she will graduate from Lake Land with a degree in Environmental Science, planning to minor in Spanish. This career path will allow her to single-handedly save the rainforest. She is also the president of Lake Land’s PRIDE group. Facebook Comments
Derby Roan, Editor in Chief
Derby is the Editor in Chief of the Navigator News. She will graduate in Spring 2018 with an associate’s degree in Pre-Medicine in the hopes of eventually cutting up dead bodies for a living. Facebook Comments
  • Girly is okay

Opinion

How to study without wanting to cry

• Fun

The Radish: Is water wet?

• Girly is okay

Opinion

Graduate Column: Ethan

• Opinion

Why we love sports

• Opinion

Community college is what you make of it

• Opinion

Graduate Column: Derby Roan

• Opinion

NBA Playoffs

• Girly is okay

Opinion

2018 MLB season winner predictions

• Girly is okay

Entertainment

The Radish: Why Are Memes’ Life Expectancies Shortening?

• Girly is okay

Opinion

A Casual Nudes PSA

Girly is okay