Theater Club presents ‘A Bad Year for Tomatoes’

Derby Roan, Editor In Chief

One of Lake Land’s newer clubs, the Theater Club, is putting on their first production of the year, ‘A Bad Year for Tomatoes,’ this Friday and Saturday. The play will be directed by club president Leah Piescinski.

The student actors are excited to finally see all their hard work pay off.

“We had a month to put it together, so it was really quick,” club member Morgan Hampton said. “Everyone was working their hardest, so I’m excited to put it together and have it be good.”

While the performance itself is important, the relationships developed in production play just as much of a role.

“I like performing, but I felt like I walked in and had friends immediately,” Hampton said.

Fellow club members Nick Kelsey and Lisa Gregory agreed.

“We all just became friends in five seconds,” Kelsey said.

“You tried to kill me. That’s how we became friends,” Gregory said to Kelsey.

“Yeah,” Kelsey said. “Our relationships are definitely unique.”

But, these friendships don’t only affect the actors’ personal lives; they also enhance their on-stage performances.

“You can’t really have a good relationship on the set unless you develop an outside relationship,” Kelsey said.

Kelsey’s friendship especially played a role in ‘A Bad Year for Tomatoes.’

“No spoilers, but [in the show] me and this one girl are in love. I’d never met her before we were in theater club,” Kelsey said. “We’ve hung out outside of this and become close, so the chemistry matches, and that shows on stage.”

‘A Bad Year for Tomatoes’ debuts Friday and Saturday night at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5.

Theater Club is always looking for members, and is open to any interested students. No experience is required.

“We’re open to new members all semester,” Club President Leah Piescinski said. “We don’t have many requirements, just someone who’s willing to work with people. It’s open to everybody.”

In the future, the club will be working with Zoo Improv from Champaign to learn more about improvisation. They will also be putting on a winter show, ‘13 Ways to Screw Up Your College Interview.’