Welcome to Major League Laker Baseball

Coach Jackson works with Pedro Narvarez while Jake McClellan takes batting practice

Mike McQueen

Mike McQueen

Mike McQueen, Multimedia Manager

With major league baseball’s World Series a few weeks away, it is easy to forget we have baseball here at Lake Land College. Coach Bill Jackson sees a lot of optimism with this years team. Jackson understands building on success, because, according to his profile page on lakelandcollege.edu, this is his fourth season and over the last three seasons their has been a resurgence in Laker baseball.
Jackson is focused on “building on the success that every sophomore class… has built.”
The sophomore class has already made a positive mark on the LLC’s baseball record.
“Our first recruiting class got us to our first sectional playoff,” Jackson said.
The momentum continued with a new class pushing the previous years sectional playoff appearance to their first section win, and that class became the sophomore foundation of a sectional title-winning team getting to the regional final four.
Jackson also said that an improvement to the team’s overall depth something he felt a bit lacking last season. As with many sports, it is important to get off to a good start and Jackson feels good about his team’s prospects this season.
Last year the team received an NJCAA Academic All American Team award. This is an award honoring academic excellence as well as athletic prowess. It is a common feeling that athletes do not have to be very good in their classwork because they are there to play a sport not get an education, but the Laker Baseball team is showing that is not true. In fact the Laker baseball team has classes typically from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., then practice from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. After that, they are expected to either hit the weight room or the books and sometimes both.
The Laker baseball team is putting in the hours and hard work, so make sure to get out there and root them on to victory. The current scrimmage schedule is available on lakelandcollege.edu, and the next home scrimmage will be Friday, Oct. 7, against Illinois Central College.

Welcome to Major League Laker Baseball